Panjab University, Chandigarh conducts entrance exam for enrolment to Ph.D. programme in faculties of Business Management & Commerce, Design & Fine Arts, Education, Engineering, Languages, Law and Science. There are two intakes; generally entrance examination is held in November and May.
Eligibility Criteria for Faculty Of Business Management & Commerce:-
- Candidate should have successfully completed their Master's degree in the concerned subject with a minimum of 55% (50% for SC/ST/BC Category) aggregate marks from a recognised University or institution.
- Candidates appearing for their master’s degree in the year are also eligible to appear for Panjab University PhD Entrance Test.
- Candidates who have completed their master’s degree in Gandhian and Peace Studies shall be considered for enrollment for Ph.D. degree in the other subjects of Arts and Social Sciences provided they clear the Entrance Test in the subject in which the enrollment is sought.
- For M.Phil. In Sociology, a candidate should have successfully completed their Master's degree in the subject of Sociology or Anthropology (Social Anthropology) with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Candidate who have completed their master degree in (any branch of science)/ M.Tech./M.E. (any branch of engineering)/ M.Pharm. relevant to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology with 55% marks are eligible to appear for Panjab University PhD Entrance Test to pursue Ph.D. in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
- Candidate should have successfully completed their Master's degree with a minimum of 55% (50% for SC/ST Category) aggregate marks, from a recognised university in any one of the following subjects:
(i) Commerce or Management
(ii) Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration, Operations Research, Social Work, Engineering and Laws.
(iii) Any subject other than those mentioned in (i) and (ii) above provided that the candidate has either not less than 5 years work experience at the managerial (including administrative service) level or is a member of the Faculty in the Department of University Business School, Panjab University with not less than 5 years? experience of teaching postgraduate classes.
(iv) Master of Finance and Control (MFC)
Exemption From Entrance Test For Enrolment To Ph.D.:
- Every candidate interested for admission in the Ph.D. Program in any of the school/ department/ institute of Panjab University has to appear in a Ph.D. Entrance Test except the following:-
(i) Candidates who have qualified UGC- NET/CSIR (JRF) Examination / SLET/ GATE examination.
(ii) Candidates who are Teacher Fellowship Holders/ direct awardees of fellowship by DST (INSPIRE), ICMR or any other National Agency. In the case of Science and Engineering Departments / Institutes (because of the cost of the laboratory work) the decision will be of the Academic Committee of the Department, whether the candidates who have cleared SLET/ Ph.D. entrance test without fellowship be admitted to Ph.D. Programme or not.
(iii) Sponsored Students from Foreign countries who has a valid Research Visa for pursuing Ph.D. under the ICCR or other Academic Exchange Programme fellowships of Governments.
However, each such case shall be decided by the Academic Committee of the concerned Department.
Panjab University PhD Entrance Test Application Process
The applicants are required to apply online at website:- http://phdadmissions.puchd.ac.in
STEPS TO FOLLOW
- Online Registration
- Receiving Login Id and Password
- Payment of application fees using bank slip generated by the website at any SBI branch, minimum after one day of the printing of bank slip.
- Login using the personal id and password and upload scanned photograph, signature, fill other important information Save and Confirm.
- Download the online Admit Card.
Panjab University PhD Entrance Test Exam PatternMedium of examination:
ENGLISH only, except in the test for language other than English, Music and Indian Theatre.
(Subjects like Public Administration, Sociology, Social Work and Police Administration will be conducted in three mediums, viz. English, Hindi and Punjabi.)No. of Question Papers:
2 papers in each subject as detailed below:-
Paper-I (Objective Type / Multiple Choice Questions)
Duration: 1 Hour
Total Marks: 50
Number of questions:50
Paper- II (Subjective / Descriptive Type)
Duration: 2 hours
Total Marks: 50
Number of questions: 50 (10 Questions to be attempted)
N.B.: No negative marks will be given for any wrong answers.